The questions examined here are primarily related to the knowledge required for passing a driving school test in Kenya. These questions cover various aspects of traffic laws, road usage rules, and common road signs used on Kenyan roads.
- Understanding Traffic Laws in Kenya:
- Having a good understanding of traffic laws in Kenya is essential.
- Knowledge of common road usage rules for pedestrians, cyclists, and motorists is important.
- Mastery of various road signs used on Kenyan roads and their meanings is required.
Common Driving School Questions and Answers:
- How many wheels does a saloon car have?
- Answer: Five (Four moving and one spare)
- How many eyes does a driver have?
- Answer: Three (Two natural and one artificial)
- Name four causes of accidents in Kenya
- a) Drunkenness
- b) Overspeeding
- c) Overloading
- d) Carelessness
- What is the Highway Code?
- Answer: A booklet checked and passed by the parliament for rules of road users.
- Within which period should an accident be reported at a police station in Kenya?
- Answer: As soon as possible but within 24 hours
- What is a pedestrian crossing?
- Answer: A safe crossing provided for the safe use of pedestrians
- What are the rules of the model town board?
- a) Use the shortest and the most correct route without using the parking
- b) Use the longest and the most correct route without using the parking
- c) Use parking if there is no other route
- Green Colour on the traffic light means go, except when?
- a) When there is an oncoming vehicle from the right
- b) When stopped by a police officer
- What do you look for when driving past stationary vehicles?
- a) Opening of doors
- b) Pedestrian crossing
- What is the rule of the Road in Kenya?
- Answer: To keep left unless overtaking.
- Which side do you overtake from?
- Answer: The right side
- Name three documents that must be valid before you are allowed to drive:
- a) Valid driving license
- b) Valid insurance certificate
- c) Valid vehicle inspection certificate
- When are you not allowed to drive despite having the three valid required documents?
- a) When you are sick
- b) Drunk
- c) Under drugs fatigue
- Which vehicles have the right of way?
- a) An ambulance with a siren
- b) Fire Engine with a siren
- c) Presidential escort with a siren
- d) A police car with a siren
- When can you put on the lights during the day?
- a) When it is foggy
- b) During heavy rainfall
- c) When it is misty
- d) During emergency
- What is the maximum speed limit in town?
- Answer: 50km/hr
- What is the maximum speed limit on the highway for:
- a) Pick-up / lorries.
- b) Cars.
- c) Trailers.
- a) 80km/hr
- b) 110km/hr
- c) 65km/hr
- What are the four important tools you have to carry when driving for a safari?
- a) Carjack
- b) Spare Wheel
- c) Spotlight
- What should you do first when receiving your driving license for the first time?
- Answer: Check all the details and sign in ink pen
- When there is a white continuous line down a one-way traffic road, what does it mean?
- Answer: No changing lanes
- State the three seconds rule
- Answer: If you reach the object before three seconds, then you are not driving at a safe distance from the vehicle ahead of you.
- Traffic signs are divided into how many groups?
- Answer: Three; mandatory, warning, information
- When you intend to turn, what distance should you start indicating?
- Answer: You should start indicating at a distance of 50m in advance
- What is the difference between turning left and passing left?
- Answer: When turning left, there is a complete change of direction to be made, but passing left is just like keeping left.
- What is the difference between a street and an avenue?
- Answer: A street is a road where buildings are found along, while an avenue is a road where vegetation is found along.
- What is an “engine”?
- Answer: An engine is a power-generating machine.
- What is the main purpose of the following documents:
- Driving license.
- Insurance certificate.
- Vehicle inspection certificate.
- Answer: To allow you to drive, for security purposes, to show the road-worthiness of a vehicle.
- What is coasting?
- Answer: Coasting is driving a vehicle for a long distance only with one gear.
- What is a three-point turn in driving?
- Answer: A three-point turn is driving a vehicle facing in the opposite direction with the use of reverse and forward gear.
- Describe the warning sign?
- Answer: Warning signs are red in color, triangular in shape with the apex facing upwards.
- List down two examples of a caravan?
- Answer: Side car, Mobile toilet/clinic
- Write down all the mechanical signals of a saloon car?
- Answer: Headlights, parking lights, brake lights, reverse lights, indicators, number plate light, interior lights, and hazards lights.
- Why must all vehicles be insured?
- Answer: For security purposes.
- What is the meaning of a PDL?
- Answer: Provisional driving license.
- What is the use of speed governors and safety belts?
- Answer: To maintain a specific speed on the highway and to reduce injuries during accidents.
- Class A signs are subdivided into how many groups? Name the groups and give at least one example.
- Answer: Three groups, including priority signs (stop sign), compulsory signs (all vehicles must keep left), regulatory signs (no entry).
- As a driver, when you come across a river bed crossing, explain how to cross it?
- Answer: Determine the river’s depth by dipping a stick in the water before crossing.
- State five ways to keep your vehicle roadworthy.
- Ensure your wheels are in good condition.
- Ensure all lights are in good condition.
- Ensure the steering wheel is in good condition.
- Ensure the brakes are working.
- Ensure mirrors are okay.
- Describe your approach at a pedestrian crossing?
- Answer: Approach alertly and at a speed where you can control and stop in case of an emergency.
- How do you hold the steering wheel clockwise?
- Answer: Hold it in the 10 to 2 position or ¼ to 3 position.
- What do you do if, as crossing by the traffic lights is green, then they suddenly change to amber?
- Answer: Proceed if you had crossed the stop sign.
- What is the correct position at the junction when turning?
- (a) Left: Drive at an extreme left.
- (b) Right: Drive at an extreme right.
- What does the green arrow filter on the traffic lights mean?
- Answer: You should go in the direction shown by the arrows.
- Which type of vehicles to be taken for inspection?
- Answer: [No specific answer provided in the text.]
- Which is the strongest gear on a vehicle and why?
- Answer: Reverse gear because it has no other alternative gear.
- Why should you look right twice when approaching a junction?
- Answer: The right side is closer to danger.
- State how you can overtake another vehicle?
- Slow down.
- Start indicating right.
- If it’s clear, overtake.
- After overtaking, indicate to the left and keep to your side.
- When the traffic lights show green and you are stopped by a police officer, who should you obey?
- Answer: You should obey the police because he is under mandatory.
- What is a hard shoulder way?
- Answer: It’s a road where bumps are put closely together.
- What is another name given to a give-way sign?
- Answer: Another name for a give-way sign is yield.
- What is the different between a street and an avenue?
- Answer: A street is where buildings are found along, while an avenue is where vegetation is found along.